November 1, 2006

About Blanca


I consider myself a global nomad, having lived for more than four years each in Canada, Japan, Australia, US, and France. I have been living in Jakarta, Indonesia, for nearly three years.

Whenever the question "where are you from?" is posed, I often challenge people. I say, you need to be more precise, do you want to know where I was born, which countries I grew up in, which countries and cultures do I identify most with, what my nationalities are, or which country my ancestors have lived in?

It was my father's various postings that caused my nomadism from early on. Since the age of 19, though, it has been my own choice to lead such a life.

I work in the field of environment, and surprisingly rare in this profession, I am a "green" person in my private life as well. Conserving the environment, reducing my ecological footprint, and living sustainably are things I am passionate about.

I also consider myself a feminist, because I strongly believe that an equitable world without sexism is a world that is better for everyone--for both men and women.